A collection of non-english language eBooks (48284 rows, 80%+ of all english language books available on the site) from the Project Gutenberg site with metadata removed.
Originally colected for https://github.com/LAION-AI/Open-Assistant (follows the OpenAssistant training format)
The METADATA column contains catalogue meta information on each book as a serialized JSON:
|text_id||Text# unique book identifier on Prject Gutenberg as int|
|title||Title of the book as string|
|issued||Issued date as string|
|authors||Authors as string, comma separated sometimes with dates|
|subjects||Subjects as string, various formats|
|locc||LoCC code as string|
|bookshelves||Bookshelves as string, optional|
How was the data generated?
- A crawler (see Open-Assistant repository) downloaded the raw HTML code for each eBook based on Text# id in the Gutenberg catalogue (if available)
- The metadata and the body of text are not clearly separated so an additional parser attempts to split them, then remove transcriber's notes and e-book related information from the body of text (text clearly marked as copyrighted or malformed was skipped and not collected)
- The body of cleaned TEXT as well as the catalogue METADATA is then saved as a parquet file, with all columns being strings
- Some of the books are copyrighted! The crawler ignored all books with an english copyright header by utilizing a regex expression, but make sure to check out the metadata for each book manually to ensure they are okay to use in your country! More information on copyright: https://www.gutenberg.org/help/copyright.html and https://www.gutenberg.org/policy/permission.html
- Project Gutenberg has the following requests when using books without metadata: Books obtianed from the Project Gutenberg site should have the following legal note next to them: "This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere in the United States and most other parts of the world at no cost and with almost" no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org. If you are not located in the United States, you will have to check the laws of the country where you are located before using this eBook."
- Downloads last month