Screen reader audit of HuggingChat

by docfast - opened

Hey folks, @psmyth at the Iota School shared a video audit of HuggingChat using NVDA. I've taken some notes about the screen reader walk through.

We're sharing this audit because we are very interested in accessible authoring tools for disabled developers. A sincere accessibility effort could build community trust in these products. The trust and use of these technologies by disabled folks has the potential to create more equitable experiences.

TLDR of the walk through

• huggingchat broadly accessible if you need it for work. it could be made more ergonomic. proper accessibility would make this technology assistive for abled and disabled users.
  • landmark navigation would improve the experience.
  • research would help understand assistive responses when questions are submitted.
  • navigating to the chat lists was a repeated challenge.
  • some other hugging face products have different accessibility affordances not used in huggingchat.
Hugging Chat org

Wow thanks, this is going to be an invaluable resource when attempting to improve the accessibility of HuggingChat.

Really appreciate the work done here! I'll be going over this to try and turn it into actionable github tickets. I'll post updates in this thread :)

Thanks, @docfast and @nsarrazin . I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you have questions, and happy to do a meeting if it would be helpful. HC is a great portal to the ecosystem of models on Hugging Face. Taking accessibility to the next level would have a major impact on the disabled folks working in this field.

@psmyth @nsarrazin @docfast : would be so simple as adding https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/apg/patterns/landmarks/examples/navigation.html some of these css codes to a component like block_title ? perhaps we can have an intermediate step as some kind of custom component first, but normally it should be very straight forward to execute, if that's the case.

EDIT : sorry i mean the best would be to have it inside gradio library directly, a community PR might be appropriate here.

@would be so simple as adding https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/apg/patterns/landmarks/examples/navigation.html some of these css codes to a component like block_title ?

based on @psmyth video, making the navigation a landmark might help with discoverability. it would be a start in improving the accessibility, but there is a lot more that should be done to make an equitable experience for disabled users.

i generally caution calling anything accessibility easy/simple. the software changes might be easy, but they are nuanced. the variety in assistive technology implementations is significant. Creating assistive accessibility experiences requires a feedback loop with affected users like @psmyth . the people part is less simple.

perhaps we can have an intermediate step as some kind of custom component first, but normally it should be very straight forward to execute, if that's the case.

what are custom components in this scenario?

EDIT : sorry i mean the best would be to have it inside gradio library directly, a community PR might be appropriate here.

it is likely that there will be changes in the application and in the framework. the best accessibility changes will modify the gradio upstream so all project downstream gain those benefits too. it would make sense for gradio eventually to have an ARIA interface that application developers can use to provide assistive experiences.

very interesting, this inspires me to keep highlighting this and also dig into gradio library itself as it might make sense to raise an/the issue also in github

thanks for the advocacy @Tonic . let us know if you file any issues or start any discussions. i'm happy to participate within the capacity i have.

my initial thought on this is to make an application accessible like huggingchat. focus on the application first then upstream ARIA feautres into the gradio API after the application is tested/vetted.

hey @docfast , it's actually starting now, would love to have your guidance and input for some of the initial and final testing as well as continuous audits and various testing tools that i would prefer to build in parralel to this enhancement. here's the open issue : https://github.com/gradio-app/gradio/issues/5771