Fake URL in a how-to answer

by lovms - opened

When I ask HuggingChat for helping me to solve compatibility error of installing hadoop on windows 11, the download link in its answer, https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadodoop-common/WinUtils.html, is a fake URL.

Are there any methods of trying to reduce these misleading answers?

================= Here is the complete dialogue: ===================
Q:
When I tried to install hadoop of version 3.2.2 on Windows 11, I entered into compatibility error with winutils.exe. Can you try to solve my problem?

A:
Sure, I can try to help you resolve the compatibility issue you're facing while installing Hadoop 3.2.2 on Windows 11.

The error message you encountering suggests that there is an issue with the winutils.exe file, which is a utility program included in the Hadoop distribution to support Windows-specific features. Here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue:

Check the bitness of your Java installation: Make sure that your Java installation is 64-bit, as Hadoop 3.2.2 requires a 64-bit Java environment. You can check your Java version by running java -version in Command Prompt or PowerShell. If you have a 32-bit Java installed, update to a 64-bit version.
Update WinUtils: The winutils.exe file might be outdated or corrupted. Try updating it by downloading the latest version from the Apache Hadoop website (https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadodoop-common/WinUtils.html). Replace the existing winutils.exe file in your Hadoop installation directory with the updated one.
Run Hadoop installer with compatibility mode: Right-click on the Hadoop installer executable (e.g., hadoop-3.2.2-install.exe) and select "Properties." In the Properties window, go to the "Compatibility" tab and tick the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for." Select "Windows 8" or "Windows 10" from the dropdown menu, depending on your system architecture. Click OK to save changes and run the installer.
Disable UAC: User Account Control (UAC) can sometimes interfere with the installation process. Temporarily disable UAC by typing net session / disable in Command Prompt or PowerShell and press Enter. Restart the Hadoop installation process after disabling UAC.
Use a different mirror: It's possible that the download link for the Hadoop package is not compatible with your system configuration. Try using a different mirror site to download the Hadoop installer. You can find alternative mirror sites on the Apache Hadoop website.
Install Hadoop without GUI: If none of the above solutions work, you can try installing Hadoop without the GUI. This will allow you to use Hadoop command-line tools but won't provide a graphical user interface. To do this, run the following command in Command Prompt or PowerShell:
hadoop-3.2.2-install.exe --non-interactive --silent --without-gui
This command will skip the GUI portion of the installation and proceed with the non-GUI components.
7. Seek further assistance: If all the previous steps fail, you may need to seek further help from the Hadoop community or wait for a future release that addresses the compatibility issues with Windows 11. You can also consider using a virtual machine or containerization technology like Docker to run Hadoop on a supported operating system.

Remember to keep track of any error messages or logs generated during the installation process, as they may provide valuable information for troubleshooting purposes.

Hugging Chat org

It's difficult because URLs have a tendency to change and so current ones might be different than the ones in the training data. Models also have a tendency to hallucinate on structured outputs like a URL in general. I'd recommend not using for that purpose.

Thanks for your reply.
I know about the hallucination problem of LLM and just feel it would be a little easier to validate URLs than general truths on the basis of accessibility.