Amazed and intrigued by the results i get

by arnopelzer - opened

I'm 58, Dutch, artist, and have been interested in the promise and possibilities of this technology (in a broader sense), since the start or at least since I knew it existed. I've always been interested and fascinated by technology, and especially by electronics. But I'm an artist without talent in programming, electronics. I tried, but it just doesn't work in my brain. But as an artist, I can play with it. And that's why I'm here, where I can play with it. And it's the first time I get results, that I can use, that get my mind going, that fit in my current ideas and give me the feeling of collaboration.

So, I started playing with this thing, like everybody, by trying to get, funny (for me), strange results by inputting combinations of famous people, conspiracy memes and drugs. Then I tried single words, band names, album titles, names of famous people. But then it got interesting. I started inputting elements of ideas and a project, I'm starting, with which I want to visually (at first) translate personal memories and locations from my life, in the sense of game design, especially level design and creature design, and world building. It's still in an early stage of brainstorming and sketching thoughts.

Well, let me show some pictures. I was raised in a province in the Netherlands, where they mined coal in the past, my father was a miner, my grandfather was a miner, I was different. Let's keep it at that.

Some of the first results:

craiyon_132418_satanic_mushrooms_smoking_dmt.png
craiyon_132754_satanic_mushrooms_smoking_dmt_inside_the_pentagon.png
craiyon_134948_gay_patriots_and_satanic_aliens_on_a_rave_nbsp_.png
craiyon_155949_dr_frank_n_furter_and_the_gay_frogs_rocking_all_over_the_world.png
craiyon_165841_gay_frogs_on_mars_being_gay.png

I thought, okay, this is interesting. So then i tried single words, people, band names etc.

craiyon_133357_madonna.png
craiyon_135302_psychosis.png
craiyon_181348_wet_ass_pussy.png
craiyon_181544_their_satanic_majesties_request.png
craiyon_132651_meatbeat_manifesto.png

And I couldn't resist bringing in strangeness, so:

craiyon_134450_stranger_things_in_pink_with_grandma_hitting_grandpa.png
craiyon_134629_stranger_things_in_pink_with_grandma_hitting_the_bong.png

Then I thought about my project and started to test what this thing knows about. I used location, dates, and ideas I had, in a more poetic sense, an imagining of trauma and trouble in life. I also started experimenting with words for the style of the end result. And this is what we came up with (only a few examples of everything we generated, in random order):

craiyon_142357_mining_shafts_and_tunnels_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_high_defintition.png
craiyon_144401_mining_men_dancing_underground_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_high_definition_and_photor.png
craiyon_145035_closeup_of_violent_mining_men_crying_and_fighting_underground_in_south_limburg_in_197.png
craiyon_145939_blueprint_of_underground_mining_tunnels_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_high_definition_a.png
craiyon_151731_closeup_of_children_fighting_with_black_coal_from_mining_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_.png
craiyon_153827_closeup_of_the_face_of_a_black_coal_child_crying_in_fear_in_dark_mining_tunnels_in_so.png
craiyon_154900_a_child_lying_on_the_ground_in_foetus_position_surrounded_by_black_coal_and_human_sku.png
craiyon_224331_a_photorealistic_representation_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_in_a_r.png
craiyon_225502_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_.png
craiyon_230946_a_wide_shot_of_a_fusion_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_coal_in_a_mining_tu.png
craiyon_161143_a_frightened_child_made_of_black_coal_laughing_in_a_dark_tunnel_in_south_limburg_in_1.png
craiyon_173300_closeup_of_the_face_and_upper_body_of_a_child_made_of_black_coal_holding_a_teddybear_.png
craiyon_174351_a_boy_made_of_black_coal_holding_a_teddybear_with_saint_barbara_in_a_mining_tunnel_in.png
craiyon_192332_a_vintage_black_and_white_representation_of_saint_barbara_made_of_black_coal_holding_.png
craiyon_222259_a_black_and_white_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_climbing_a_black_coal_mountain_in_south.png

craiyon_160205_closeup_fo_a_frightened_child_made_of_black_coal_crying_in_dark_tunnels_in_south_limb - kopie.png
craiyon_160239_closeup_fo_a_frightened_child_made_of_black_coal_crying_in_dark_tunnels_in_south_limb - kopie.png
craiyon_161537_a_frightened_child_made_of_black_coal_laughing_in_a_dark_tunnel_in_south_limburg_in_1 - kopie.png
craiyon_161618_a_frightened_child_made_of_black_coal_laughing_in_a_dark_tunnel_in_south_limburg_in_1 - kopie.png
craiyon_162524_a_boy_made_of_black_coal_crying_in_a_dark_tunnel_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_high_def - kopie.png
craiyon_162600_a_boy_made_of_black_coal_crying_in_a_dark_tunnel_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_high_def - kopie.png
craiyon_162929_a_boy_made_of_black_coal_crying_in_a_dark_tunnel_in_south_limburg_in_1970_in_high_def - kopie.png
craiyon_165843_closeup_of_frightened_boy_made_of_black_coal_falling_in_a_dark_mining_shaft_in_south_ - kopie.png
craiyon_170029_closeup_of_frightened_boy_made_of_black_coal_falling_in_a_dark_mining_shaft_in_south_ - kopie.png
craiyon_175115_a_closeup_of_a_statue_of_saint_barbara_made_of_black_coal_holding_a_teddybear_in_a_mi - kopie.png
craiyon_192712_a_black_and_white_of_saint_barbara_made_of_black_coal_holding_a_teddybear_and_nbsp__a - kopie.png
craiyon_222315_a_black_and_white_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_climbing_a_black_coal_mountain_in_south - kopie.png
craiyon_223315_a_photorealistic_representation_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_on_a_b - kopie.png
craiyon_223802_a_photorealistic_representation_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_in_a_r - kopie.png
craiyon_224734_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_in_a_ritual_ci - kopie.png
craiyon_224746_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_in_a_ritual_ci - kopie.png
craiyon_225705_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_ - kopie.png
craiyon_225930_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_ - kopie.png
craiyon_230101_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_ - kopie.png
craiyon_230122_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_.png
craiyon_230145_a_photorealistic_fusion_in_high_definition_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_.png
craiyon_230710_a_wide_shot_of_a_fusion_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_coal_in_a_mining_tu.png
craiyon_231011_a_wide_shot_of_a_fusion_of_a_teddybear_and_a_foetus_made_of_black_coal_in_a_mining_tu.png

As a conclusion of this long post I would like to say that I love the innocence of the creation process of dalle-mini, it trying to understand what I'm saying, making its own thing from the input, the strangeness, a combination of input and that innocence, and the sometimes very interesting results it produces, when it doesn't understand (part) of the input. It is an inspiring experience. So, there you have it.

So now, I decided, I, at least, have to read about it. Trying to understand it better. We'll see. And in the end, playing is fine, as it is also a part of my process as an artist. So thank you for making this available.

This is actually pretty amazing. Good work figuring out how to make it do what you want. I've been doing kinda the same thing. In particular I've had this image in my mind of a headless person walking on a sidewalk with arms in a 'Jesus Christ' pose as this giant beatific looking head floats off into the clouds. This thing also makes some pretty epic album art that I'll be using for my music for a while. It probably won't be long before these AIs can produce far better results than what we're getting now. I know I'll be using them. Good luck with your art, friend, and please post more. This stuff really is quite creative and interesting.

It probably won't be long before these AIs can produce far better results than what we're getting now.

The ones that require an invite to access, like DALL-E 2 and PARTI, are already a lot better than what Craiyon is capable of.

I like the raw quality and "incompetence", or as i see it, innocence. I can work with that, it becomes a feedback loop, a process of going deeper and deeper, an exploration, a collaboration. And it provides me with images, I couldn't have imagined, but speak to me.