I think we need some Community rules, pinned to the top. Working out how to moderate/ enforce, with limited admin resources, is a real challenge obviously

by JackFruit7 - opened

Hate speech and symbols are disturbing and anti-pluralistic. It is not a good look for a research project.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot) Microsoft's chat bot that was shut down after abuse.

StackExchange have a great moderation model. No mucking about.

I made an account just to tell you to fuck off, the least this community needs is censorship from californians

TAY was brought down because Microsoft is a bunch of soft cucks that couldn’t take the fact their machine learning algorithm was doing it’s job. If the creator made it so the algorithm scoured the whole internet and that he also felt he needed to make a disclaimer about bias he probably doesn’t care what anyone uses it for which is the right thing to do. We already have enough censorship we don’t need our new toy ruined by it too

@tawvpy You are entitled to your opinion of course. Thank you for contributing your opinion. Let's see what the community thinks. I suspect that this post will drown in the flood of 'look at me I can type and push a button' posts, but I hope that it does not.

Another option might be to shut down the HF community and move research contributions over the github.

@Tortoise Thank you for your contribution. It was useful to receive your 'our new toy' perspective.

I bet you're a leftist, Jack.

Let adults experiment with art and go elsewhere if you don't like it.

No offense intended but you are part of the problem. I can see your point but you're just carrying water for people who don't care about freedom of expression.

All good @CloudedSkies . I'll go somewhere else. Toodle Pip!

@JackFruit7 4chan got their hands on this about 1 week ago so any viable moderation is long gone by now.

@JackFruit7 I could be totally mistaken, because I don't know much about how this works, but I don't think Dall-E Mini really "learns" anything from the text that you put into it. In my experience it won't generate anything offensive unless you ask it to, and those pictures are only visible to you, so I'm not totally sure what the issue is.
Idk. Maybe I'm missing the point or I'm mistaken about something. If I am, please let me know.

TAY was brought down because Microsoft is a bunch of soft cucks that couldn’t take the fact their machine learning algorithm was doing it’s job. If the creator made it so the algorithm scoured the whole internet and that he also felt he needed to make a disclaimer about bias he probably doesn’t care what anyone uses it for which is the right thing to do. We already have enough censorship we don’t need our new toy ruined by it too

You realise this sort of thing is how you get a tool retired from public use, right?

You're basically "ruining it for everybody" while those of us who are experimenting with prompt engineering to get a good feeling for it and document our findings are against the clock now.

Its actually pretty hard to find a version of DALL-E that runs adequately because the dependencies and setup to get it working locally are a huge headache to perform. This has sort of been a "security through obscurity" of the hurdles of getting it running, even by people who are experienced programmers.

Speaking frankly to you personally, I'm reminded of the golden age of memes where people made things they found cute and entertaining before the medium was boot-strapped as a propaganda tool to rachet-effect illusory truth into unsuspecting people by brainwashed frightened inadequate manchildren lacking basic emotional intelligence who think the only way to have a place in the world is to invent an enemy so they feel like soldiers in a war that doesn't exist. Why? Because the world is rudderless, and the only thing scarier to you than a conspiracy is no conspiracy.

Speaking from my experience involved with developing image board software in the very early 2000's, I sincerely hope the mental Oppenheimer's moment of regret for helping a very particular website survive its initial expansion in popularity I feel every time I deal with you guys isn't experienced by the developers of DALL-E.

I can only describe myself as a deeply disappointed parent when I see you.

You are history's mistake, and a bad meme that needs to be forgotten.

@Expo memes were always political, no matter how you define "meme" and "political"
@tawvpy thank you for your service o7
@JackFruit Good riddance

memes were always political, no matter how you define "meme" and "political"

@anPrimApplejack Untrue, you're just too young to remember.
You run everything into the ground, and you ruin everything for everybody else. You are the problem.

@expo cause surely they won’t let an algorithm do it’s job and if anything some whiny group of individuals doesn’t like will result in it’s immediate removal from public use.

@Expo willing to bet dollars to donuts I'm older than you snotling

Hate speech and symbols are disturbing and anti-pluralistic. It is not a good look for a research project.

I agree. I feel like a version for researchers/artists/technologists/serious users, and another for memers/lookiloos/4chan/whatever else would be beneficial. Even the community tab is useless wading through 100 posts on people's not that interesting prompts and results is mega frustrating when I am trying to use this as a methodological tool.