Is it legal to use Dall-e generated images on a commercial project?

by Watanoge - opened

I'm making a cypher game, similar to notpron - but completely encapsulated in it's own fake operating system. All of the pictures I'm using for the puzzle itself are generated by Dall-e mini, and I have plans on publishing the game on steam.

These are some of the images I've used for closed game testing, is this OK? Or would I need to change them before publishing?

image.png

image.png

image.png

I understand that Dall-e is under apache-2.0 license, but for my very limited understanding - that's a software license, so not quite sure how media generated by the software would be managed.

i mean they didnt copyright images on dall e, or put watermarks, so its probably okay to my knowledge.

also make sure to credit dall e

Dall-e is to be treated as an actual artist , its tough to say really, for now its probably fine. Once AI get rights and stuff, obviously things will change

You can do whatever you want. AI is not a person or whatever, and it's not even verifiable where the images came from.

deleted

It's done by a company. I wanted to use images I created for an album cover until I saw this:
https://labs.openai.com/policies/terms

DALL·E is for your personal, non-commercial use only. DALL·E is part of an effort to publicly test and share research advancements in machine learning. You may not use DALL·E for any commercial purpose.

deleted

Craiyon has changed the TOS to e-read if you or your company makes less than one million a year, you may use the generated images and request you credit them. That seems totally reasonable to me.
It also seems reasobale to see that someone is doing a lot of work on these, so there is a human company behind it.

Craiyon has changed the TOS to e-read if you or your company makes less than one million a year, you may use the generated images and request you credit them. That seems totally reasonable to me.
It also seems reasobale to see that someone is doing a lot of work on these, so there is a human company behind it.

That's great to hear! I definitely make less than a million per year... Actually I make less than 12K a year 😅

If anyone is interested on the full quote, this is it:

Commercial Licenses
Free Commercial License
You may use the Site or the Images for academic or research purposes or for educating or entertaining on various social media platforms.
If you are an individual or an entity with less than 1 million United States dollars in annual revenue, you are permitted to use Images generated by the Service for the purpose of pursuing financial gain, provided that (1) a royalty of 20% is due on any revenues attributable to any blockchain transaction (such as selling NFT's), and (2) we may revoke your right to use the Site or the Images at any time.
Free commercial use requires you to attribute images to Craiyon.
Paid Commercial License
If you are an individual or an entity with more than 1 million in United States dollars in annual revenue, commercial use of the Site or the Images is subject to the terms of a separate commercial licensing agreement. Please contact us at sales@craiyon.com.

full TOS: https://www.craiyon.com/terms

Basically, for what I understood - unless you're selling NFTs, it's completely free to use and gain income from it!

deleted

I took them a couple of weeks to reply, but it was from a human (!) who was very nice and sent me to that TOS change, which I find totally cool.

deleted
This comment has been hidden

I have created a website for fun matters with some pics crafted by Dell-e. I added the following text to my website, considering that Dell-e created the pictures, but the request and creativity stem from my knowledge and creativity... Any thoughts? :
"The images on this website are crafted through a synergy of human creativity and DALL-E, an advanced AI tool by OpenAI. Each image originates from the unique vision and direction of the site's author, making every piece a product of human ingenuity guided by AI technology. Our commitment to intellectual property ethics is unwavering, and we endeavor to ensure all content respects legal standards."